Interstate 29 in Grand Forks, North Dakota
GRAND FORKS, N.D. (KFGO-KNOX) – Three manufactured homes that were stuck on I-29 South in Grand Forks have been removed.
Trucks were carrying them when they were unable to cross the overpass at DeMers Avenue, and they had been sitting on the closed right lane and shoulder since Tuesday.
They were unable to fit through construction on the overpass because of an 11 foot width restriction. The trucks were hauling an oversized load that is 16 feet wide.
North Dakota Highway Patrol Lieutenant Ryan Panasuk explains why it took a few days to get them off the interstate.
“It would have required either backing them the wrong direction on Southbound 29 with an active lane alongside, or closing that section and re-routing that section on I-29”. Panasuk said. “We made the decision it was safer to have them pull as far to the right as possible in the closure area and have them wait there until they could move forward.”
Panasuk also says that he has dealt with situations like this before, but this one’s different from others.
“It definitely lasted longer than most in that we had them parked there for several days, but easier than some others in that they weren’t wedged somewhere.” Panasuk said. “We had the option to pull them off to the side and have them wait.”
All three drivers of each truck were cited for a permit violation and given a $100 fine.


Comments